Losing weight can be a challenging, especially as we age. The good news is that with the right healthy habits and tools to support you, weight loss can be achievable at any age. In this article, we will explore behavioral tips and habits that can aid in weight loss, factors to consider for individuals over 40 and we will share some supplements that may assist in the process.
Habits for Weight Loss:
- Mindful Eating: Paying attention to what and how much you eat is crucial. Slow down, savor each bite and listen to your body's hunger cues. Learn the difference between what it feels like to nourished, and what it feels like to be "full."
- Portion Control: Use smaller plates and utensils to help control portion sizes. Be mindful of portion sizes when dining out, as restaurant servings are often larger than necessary.
- Regular Meals: Skipping meals can lead to overeating later. So, don't set yourself up to fail. Think about nutrients rather than calories. A long-engrained idea like calorie counting can be hard to change so listen to the podcast episode here for more.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking enough water is essential for overall health and can help control hunger. Sometimes, thirst can be mistaken for hunger. Listen to this episode about how quality water contributes to hydration levels.
- Keep a Food Journal: Tracking your food intake can raise awareness of eating patterns and help identify areas for improvement. Do it for 3 days and you'll learn a lot that can help you later.
- Balanced Diet: We are advocates of an ancestral diet. Don’t let the various trends of what eating style is best confuse you. Think about what your ancestors ate. If you eat the type of food they ate, (and you aim for high quality) it’s likely a good place to start. (P.S. your ancestors cooked their own food).
- Regular Movement: Incorporate both cardiovascular and strength-training exercises into your routine. Instead of "exercise" I titled this one "movement" as I think sometimes we make "exercise" a big thing in our mind. Just focus on moving the body to simplify things!
- Sleep Well: Lack of sleep can disrupt hunger hormones and lead to weight gain. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night.
- Stress Management: High stress levels can trigger emotional eating. Practice relaxation techniques such as meditation or deep breathing exercises. Do so regularly over time and you'll notice the difference.
- Community: Surround yourself with a supportive community or enlist the help of a friend or family member to stay accountable to your goals.
Factors to Consider for Those Over 40:
Weight loss for individuals over 40 may require some additional considerations due to changes in metabolism and lifestyle. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
- Metabolism: Metabolism tends to slow down with age. To counter this, focus on building lean muscle mass through strength training exercises. Muscle burns more calories at rest than fat.
- Hormonal Changes: Hormonal fluctuations, especially in women going through menopause, can affect weight. Consult with a healthcare provider for guidance on managing these changes.
- Bone Health: Older adults should pay attention to their bone health. Adequate calcium and vitamin D intake, along with weight-bearing exercises, can help maintain bone density.
- Injury Prevention: Be cautious of injuries and joint issues. Low-impact exercises like swimming or cycling can be gentler on the joints while still providing a great workout.
- Medical Conditions: Certain medical conditions may affect weight loss efforts. If you have a health condition or are on medications it's best to consult with your trusted health practitioner before taking on big changes with diet and exercise.
Supplements That Can Support Weight Loss Goals:
We like the philosophy of food first. But the reality is, our soil is depleted and we are surrounded by low-quality food-like products. That’s why supplementation can be a good option during the journey to achieve optimal health.
The following list is meant to be a educational resource to help share information so you are well informed.
When you know more, you can ask better questions and get better answers. Here are a few options for supplements to support weight loss goals.
- Protein & Collagen: Protein helps you feel full and preserves muscle. Building muscle supports a healthy metabolism. Protein shakes can be a convenient way to increase your protein intake. And collagen is the an easily digested protein that supports metabolism. Click for a recommended shake option as well as a collagen to consider.
- Fiber: Fiber promotes satiety and aids in digestion. Adding a fiber supplement can help you ensure you get enough.
Green Tea Extract: Green tea contains compounds like catechins that may boost metabolism and help with fat oxidation. A good option for this is: https://ngvitamins.com/products/diet-cleanse
Probiotics: Gut health plays a role in weight regulation. Probiotic supplements can promote a healthy gut microbiome. When it comes to probiotics, give us a call (239-649-4959) and we'll help guide you in choosing one that's right for you now.
- Chromium/Berberine: Berberine is one of the few compounds that initiates something in the body known as the "metabolic master switch." This is said to help boost fat burning at a cellular level. And chromium helps to balance blood sugar and is known to reduce hunger level and cravings. Check out this Sugar control option.
- Weight Management Formula: This formula features garcinia cambogia which is a fruit consumed in Asia for years. When combined with proper diet and exercise, this non-stimulant formula may help support healthy weight management by supporting healthy blood sugar levels and curbing appetite.
To Sum Up: Strategies for Weight Loss: Tips, Habits and Notes for Those Over 40
Achieving and maintaining weight loss is a holistic journey that involves behavioral changes, healthy habits and a tailored approach for those over 40. Remember that individual results may vary, and it's essential to consult with healthcare professionals or nutrition experts before making significant changes. By combining mindful eating, regular exercise and the right supplements, you can embark on a successful weight loss journey, no matter your age.
This information contained here is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or health condition. Please consult a qualified health professional if you do have a medical condition.